Sunday, November 19, 2006

Welcome to my blog!

I have a blog associated with lulu.com (http://people.lulu.com/blogs/view.php?user_id=512690), where my book is distributed, but not a great deal of traffic finds its way there. And so, I decided to begin a blog here and hope you find some solace, or some chuckles or some symbiosis from my posts. Since I have been focusing a good deal of my energy lately on my first book, FLOWERS IN AUTUMN: endings and beginnings, I though I would begin by sharing one of the poems from that book. You can also feel free to preview the book for free online at http://www.lulu.com/parplaywright.

Enjoy and as always...be well.

A Flower in Autumn

I saw you last night - running, playing, hitting.
You had a glow like a candle inside a pumpkin on
Halloween.
I tried to touch you but you were gone - a haze.

I heard your voice - yelling, screaming, crying.
Your pain echoed like a call inside the catacombs.
I searched for you until I lost consciousness.

I awoke at your grave; snow stung my lips.
The wind blowing as though millions of souls were
breathing at once,
and then, calm.

I began to dig through the snow at your grave
as if to resurrect your spirit from the frozen earth.

And then, all at once, I was paralyzed.
There, in a drift, in front of your stone it stood.
One flower poised as a sentinel fighting the fall.
A flower in autumn.

My tears, frozen to my face; my breath choked inside my
flesh.
I thought to turn and run, and then I heard you whisper -
"Brother I will not forget you."
Through all the years I'd never known and now from
death, life.

Then I stood, fighting my own fall, shouting the show into
circles -
"Nor I you, nor I you."

I wrote this poem in my brother's memory who was born in 1964 with Downs Syndrome and died at the age of 16 (when I was just 14). His life was a deep inspiration to so much of what I have done and his love was the most pure love I have ever known. I am certain that he is my guardian angel and that when I see him again, he will indeed be running and playing and hitting.

As Snoopy in You're A Good Man Charlie Brown (July 2000)