Friday, August 29, 2008

It is time for unity, it is time for change...

IT IS TIME TO ELECT BARACK OBAMA THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

Yes, just a few short weeks ago, I wasn't sure I would say that. I was a staunch Hillary Clinton supporter and I will always believe that she would have been a remarkable leader for our nation as we find ourselves locked in fiscal irresponsibility and mired in a foolish and criminal war.

But as the Democratic Convention began and Senator Obama made his choice for VP (a man I have wanted for President for quite some time now), I started to weigh the importance of this election and the fundamental differences between the platforms. Somewhere, deep down, I always knew I would vote for whomever the Democrats nominated. How could I not? I have been a lifelong Democrat, bolstered by my mother's beliefs that we have a responsibility to help those less fortunate than ourselves and fight for civil rights and equality for all. The Republicans have always left too many people out of the circle and I have always relished in the knowledge that my mother was a lifelong Republican, who ALWAYS voted Democrat. Up where I came from, if you registered Democrat your house was stoned and egged. But in that voting booth, she voted her conscience.

And now I will vote mine: not because Hillary Clinton told me to do it. Not because Ted Kennedy and former President Clinton told me to do it. And not because Joe Biden will be the next Vice-President of the United States (although all of those things certainly didn't hurt).

I will vote for Barack Obama because I believe he can make a difference and I believe in my heart that he has set a place at the table for someone like me. And no, I'm not voting for him because I feel like "I could have a beer with him." I think that each of us should vote, based on our beliefs, our struggles our principals - the things we stand for, and yes, because of the essence of who we are. Part of who I am, is a proud gay man. I have heard politicians, even Presidential candidates mention gays and lesbians in the past few years (often pleasantly surprised) but never have I heard the amazing words spoken that Barack mentioned last night with such conviction and simple truth..."I know there are differences on same-sex marriage, but surely we can agree that our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters deserve to visit the person they love in the hospital and to live lives free of discrimination." Also part of who I am, is my mother's son. She was always helping someone that was less fortunate that her - taking people to the doctor; doing taxes for free for seniors; giving gifts to the nursing home or coloring books to children; making sure that I had a better chance for my dreams than she did. And Barack Obama believes in those things too.

I hope if you are still on the fence (for those of you already certain you are voting for John McCain, God help you) that you will read Barack's entire acceptance speech and listen closely to the debates. I hope that he will convince you, as he has convinced me, that he is ready to lead our nation in a better direction - to a brighter tomorrow.

Barack Obama's Convention Speech

No comments:


As Snoopy in You're A Good Man Charlie Brown (July 2000)