Thursday, August 23, 2007

Another closing...maybe the last

I don't really know where to begin. I suppose with gratitude to the handful of people that made this show a success - that really cared about presenting something better than just good. And it was better than good. Everyone who saw it commented on the professional look of the show and how impressed they were with the production. Granted, we didn't have the houses I would have liked, but those that saw it, loved it. And what more can you ask for in the end. Thank you to Michael Menger, an incredible director; Daniel Schaedle, an amazing TD and Stage Manager; my co-star, Jim Richard who I love from the bottom of my insane heart; Andrew Drew and David Tonkin for being the main support for this show; and of course to the audience and the donors who made this show possible.

Now, "to the pain," as Cary Elwes declares in PRINCESS BRIDE. There are literally hundreds of people from this area that have been colleagues of mine, and many who have been friends (certainly when they come to my house and eat my food and drink my booze) that did not come to see this show. Not only that, but they did not even have the decency to say, "Hey, can't make it," or "Listen, wish I could be there...break a leg."

I had a friend in college who used to literally "white people out" of his book when they acted like assholes or when they didn't get back to him after three tries. I don't have a book like that, but I did make a point to eliminate 70 emails from my personal database tonight. These people do not deserve my attention or my care or concern or love. They are not my friends and I do not care if I ever hear from them again. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Sometimes, it is important to realize that we do not need "numbers" of people to care about us. The handful of people that we can really count on - the one person who loves us for who we are. That is what matters...that is what counts.

If you have a best friend who is always there for you, call them, email them, tell them how much they mean to you. If someone is in love with you, be grateful for that love and try to give it back. It is so rare.

The show is over, the strike will take place tomorrow and then it will all be a memory. ASTC is all but finished. But I am ok with it. A new chapter will begin. I must believe that. You must believe it too!

"Here's to us...who's like us? Damn few!" From MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG by Stephen Sondheim. I know I have promised you Ode to the Planets...it will come soon.

No comments:


As Snoopy in You're A Good Man Charlie Brown (July 2000)