Thursday, August 9, 2007

All the wrong reasons

Sometimes...I think we humans get caught up in fantasy...in scenarios we hope can be true for us. We want them so bad that we make decisions based on what we hope will happen, or what we want to happen, even if those decisions are not the best for us. I'm not saying we shouldn't take chances or have dreams (i would be the biggest hypocrite alive if I said that), but I am beginning to learn that sometimes, you can do something that you think is right, for all the wrong reasons. And sometimes, that ends up being a house of cards that comes crashing down on your head and makes your life seem foolish, or more accurately, you feel like the fool. My mother used to say, "Prepare for the worst and hope and pray for the best." I heard an interview with Nancy Reagan and someone asked her about that, or she said she had a friend who lived by that philosophy and she refused to live that way. She basically said you must just work for the best. I think she might be right. That is more "the glass is half full approach." I really am trying to live more like that, but it seems that no matter how hard i try, at a variety of things, I find myself feeling like a failure or a fool. Stupid really - someone just the other night told me that my trouble is, that I want perfection. Thanks again Mom (you know I love ya, wherever you are resting). But it's true...I have always tried to be perfect and I let myself down all the time, because how CAN we be perfect, ever? And I feel like I let other people down too.

Getting back to my first point and then I will close. I think, as I get older, I want to take actions and begin relationships and start projects for the right reasons. I want to go in knowing why and if I am going to do something, I want to do it without expectations, without needing something in return from someone or some thing. Is that realistic? Especially with matters of the heart? Or am I playing the fool with that idea as well?

I just know that recently, I set out on a course, and I think I packed for that journey for the wrong reasons. I built up this fantasy that if I did a, b and c, then the outcome would be what I wanted. And it isn't. Even if ultimately, the project that is attached to all of this is fantastic and successful, the actual dream that I had will not be reality...and that hurts. Actually, it sucks! Is any of this real? Is this thing on?

Next time...at least at this point in my life, I can still say there can be a next time. We just have to keep trying. Just keep trying.

No comments:


As Snoopy in You're A Good Man Charlie Brown (July 2000)