Monday, October 15, 2007

I'll be reading from my book next Monday

I just realized that I have not posted a poem from my book, Flowers in Autumn: endings and beginnings in quite some time. I guess I've been so busy observing and musing life as it happens that I have forgotten to share it with you. So, in the next couple weeks, I will try to share a few more, as well as one of my Mom's paintings from the book.

I will be reading from the book on Monday, October 22nd at 7PM at the Cliffside Park Public Library, in Cliffside Park, NJ. The event is free, so if you're around, come on by!

This is the first poem in the book...

A Welcomed Walk To Smile

As the leaves of early autumn wave at the horizon
showing off their new-found luster,
I too am tranced by the reddish-orange glow
ensconced behind earth's end.

Lost in a serenity of memories
that only days of youth illuminate,
I begin to hear the locusts and crickets chirp: a cacophony,
warning of winter's watch.

In quiet calm anticipation maybe a deer or rabbit
will spring from the thick.
If not ... I will be content with the heartfelt sensation
of sensing their sense.

At last I am compelled, or called, to glance behind at the Ridge.
I catch the moon in the same sky - a half-moon.
The return to reminiscence is complete for now.
At least I am content ... ready for home.

Will I always recall the sights and smells that create this smile?
I can only hope.

No comments:


As Snoopy in You're A Good Man Charlie Brown (July 2000)