Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Oh Pumpkin

from Flowers in Autumn: endings and beginnings

My pumpkin. Not nearly as big as I envisioned,
nor round as the others, yet it gleams,
begging to be made real - to intimidate and startle,
only personified by crafted carving.

But alas, I am not he artist of the jack-o-lantern
and this gourd would bide better under careful creativity.
Still ... pumpkin pleads and I hesitantly ascertain,
"Any face triumphs no face."

Stroked with sharp edge along the grain,
scraping and sawing each triangular orifice
and then the next, there is more waste than want.
Frustrated - afraid of destruction and not creation
I detain the final cuts.

Stalling to stall but forced by the hour I commit.
My trick or treat and pumpkin's fate are final.
Glancing down, my anticipation startled,
I am suspended by a heartfelt smile.
"Oh Jack, you are definitely more than just a lantern!"

No comments:


As Snoopy in You're A Good Man Charlie Brown (July 2000)